An experienced System Administrator - VMWARE / SAN x3 are now sought to join a world leading research and educational institution in Birmingham. The team support complex, large-scale architectures on-prem and cloud, virtualisation (VMware) operating systems (including Unix, Linux and Windows), server hardware (including Blade enclosures), storage area networks, network attached storage,
Tasks for the Systems Administrator will include:
- Troubleshooting, implementing and monitoring VMware infrastructure, (including Unix, Linux and Windows)
- Keep VMware infrastructure updated with the latest security patches and carry out software upgrades.
- Perform hardware upgrades and technology refresh to new hosting platforms.
- SAN storage administration and troubleshooting.
- Configuring and maintaining storage arrays and deploying new infrastructure to meet new capacity requirement
Essential knowledge for a System Administrator:
- Administration of block based storage technologies (Dell Compellent, Dell SC, Datacore SSV)
- Administering and troubleshooting a VMware environment.
- Maintaining hardware platforms e.g. HPE c7000, HPE Synergy)
- Knowledge of core Networking Principals
Desirable skills for the Systems Administrator:
- Administering and troubleshooting F5 Big-IP (APM & LTM)
- Understanding of core technologies, (Active Directory, DNS, BIND DNS)
- Automating infrastructure (Ansible, PowerShell, Chef, Puppet)
- Understanding of UNIX based systems
- Administration of file based storage technologies (Dell EMC Isilon)
- Good understanding of backup technologies (Veeam, CommVault)
As the successful Infrastructure Engineer you will be offered a starting salary of between £45,000 - £49,500 plus excellent benefits and the role will be for an initial period of 18 months